Friday, April 20, 2007

Film Music Recording at Air Studios

Wednesday 18th April saw the recording for the strings of Harry Escott's and Molly Nyman's awesome score to Michael Winterbottom's film A Mighty Heart which stars Angelina Jolie, which I orchestrated. It was my first time there, and a real privilege to work at such a legendary venue, alongside such a range of talented people. Harry conducted his and Molly's score superbly well as well as playing piano solos before and after the session, and it was a joy to see him at work. The atmosphere was terrific - and there was a good bonhomie amongst the players, who are simply the world's best, impeccably professional. Harry also asked me very kindly to play the piano for a short sequence, which was an unexpected pleasure. I can't wait to see the film when it comes out; it is a powerful, hard-hitting film, and it has been a privilege to be involved with it.

It was also exciting to see Superstorm Episode 1 on BBC 1 last Sunday, and to see a project I've contributed to actually on the TV. Quick Plug: Episode 2 is on this Sunday at 9pm on BBC 1, and features a lot more of Maurice Murphy, trumpeter extraordinaire.

I am now about to move house, and then am into an exciting arranging project for the fabulously talented singer Abi Roberts, for a show she will take to the Edinbugh Festival this year. Also planning my Cheltenham Jazz Festival feature with Kate Brown, and a weekend away with my brother (probably in Budapest) and my next lecture at Southampton University. So back to the incedibly hectic schedule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home